"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11





Friday, April 22, 2011

Where we are today...

We have had a great couple weeks! It is astonishing how many people (some who we don't even know) are excited for us, encouraging us, and praying for us. We feel so loved! One of our goals is to spread adoption awareness and acceptance. Maybe through our story others will be impacted...whether it is to adopt themselves, make an adoption plan for their child, let go of stereotypes, or something else all together.

We had some FABULOUS news on Monday. We heard back from a grant we had applied for a few months ago, The Gift of Adoption Fund (check it out at www.giftofadoption.org.) They are going to grant us $1500 to go towards adoption expenses! That is a huge praise! Only $8500 to go. :)

We have the diaper bag all packed, an adorable going home from the hospital outfit. (It is all boy, so if Cadan arrives as a Cambria we will have to make an emergency dash to the store! lol) I think we have all of the last minute items we needed.

I have been e-mailing back and forth with the birth mother's mom. She said there was nothing new to report after the last doctors appointment. Everyone is asking if we have heard if she has progressed or anything, but it really doesn't matter if she has or not. Birth is unpredictable. Someone can one day show no progress at a doctor's appointment and go into labor the next day...or on the other hand they can be 4cm and hang out that way for 3 weeks. So "knowing" won't change anything anyway. We are just ready for whenever the call comes that she is in labor. Today she is 38 weeks and 4 days. So anytime! Her last baby was right on time. (not that that necessarily means anything)

It is interesting to think about the feelings and emotions that have been flooding me. Our social worker told us, and it is true, you really come to love the birth mother and want only what is best for her (Yes, regardless of whatever choice she makes ultimately.) We want to bless her and show her our love and appreciation ...but sometimes I think I don't want her to think we do or say things just because we "want her baby." Which of course isn't how it is, but I don't want any misperceptions. I was talking to our social worker last week and told her how pretty the birth mother looked when we went to dinner. About half way through dinner I wanted to say that, then I started thinking, what if she thinks it is just empty flattery and I am not being genuine? Sangeeta (Our social worker) said to just be ourselves and say something if we think it, that if we are sincere it will come across sincere. I think I over-think things! haha There is also this feeling of protectiveness we feel towards the birth mother. We don't want anyone to stereo type her or judge her. It isn't our place to tell others her story (or any one's business), we don't know all of the whys and how's anyway. She is a sweet and beautiful woman who is making her own best choices for herself and her family out of love for her children. Isn't that enough? There are so many other emotions and such...like I am DONE working! haha I have everything prepared to go out on maternity leave and I feel done. My head is not in my work anymore...it is in mommy mode. (I am going to work up until we get "The Call") I have twinges of jealousy over the fact that bio mommies get time off before baby comes and more after. I want to buy everything in sight but know I must not. lol We are excited, a tad anxious at times, and more excited.

So that is where we are right now...ready and waiting. We cannot wait to meet him!

Thank you again, each and every one of you, for all of your support and encouragement!

5 comments:

  1. OHHH! I LOVE you so much! My heart seriously is with you! You are one of the most genuine people I know, and I don't know of anyone more deserving than you and Jake! Cadan is one lucky boy! I have been anxiously waiting for that message to tell me you are on your way to pick up your sweet boy! I know he has a lot of aunties, but I can't wait to spoil him too! I'm so excited and happy to follow you through this process! LOVE LOVE YOU!!!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too sweet Ashlee! I don't think there is such a thing as too many aunties! So you can be Auntie Ash! lol I am so thankful for you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooooooooo happy for you guys!!!! ...and I think it is cool that you over think things because it show how serious you take all this and how truly genuine you really are. You guys are going to be incredible parents and baby Caden is one lucky little man.

    Best wishes for a great delivery. ;o)

    Love,

    Auntie Deb
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. We are so excited for you guys. I love hearing what you are sharing about the birth mother. She sounds so sweet, and she is very beautiful. I praise God that she chose life for this baby, and wants what is best for him. What a strong woman she is to make that kind of sacrifice. I am so thankful that you two will be the perfect parents for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you guys. I was wondering how your journey was going. So excited to read the update. Sounds like it is all falling into place and soon you will be looking into the eyes of your new little one. Cant wait to meet him. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete