"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11





Monday, September 20, 2010

My first Blog/Adoption update

I love reading other people's blogs, but have never had one myself. So now I do! I thought this might be the easiest way to keep everyone updated about the adoption since not everyone I know is on facebook!

A quick overview. Jake and I are in the process of a Domestic Infant Open Adoption through Bethany Christian Services.(http://www.bethany.org/) In other words, we will be adopting a baby most likely from California and we will most likely have quite a bit of contact with the birth family. The birth mother will choose us.

On that note...

The nursery is finished.
Interviews with our social worker are done.
Our house is officially "childproof" if there is such a thing!

Only one step left for the Family Assessment phase, our home visit with our social worker...which will take place on Friday 9/24!!! Then she will give us a letter stating we have an approved home study. At that point we are approved for foster care through the State. From the time we bring baby home until the adoption is finalized in court (About 6 months) the baby will technically be in foster care. This is kind of just a formality because we have to meet with our social worker 4 times during that 6 month period before they can officially approve the adoption.

Whats left?

Step 11: Prepare and submit your Adoptive Family Profile with fee to become a "waiting family."
Step 12: On going support  from Bethany during the waiting period.
Step 13: Selection by birth mother: "The Call"! Profile put on hold.
Step 14: Match meeting, match made.
Step 15: Relationship building with birth parent(s).
Step 16: Prepare for baby's arrival.
Step 17: Birth of Baby (YAY!)
Step 18: Fos-Adopt placement (at risk placement until birth parent's rights are terminated) Placement fee due.
Step 19: Birth father rights terminated in court. (If applicable)
Step 20: Bethany receives state acknowledgement confirming birth parents rights terminated.
Step 21: CELEBRATION! Time for announcements, baby showers, etc.
Step 22: Post placement supervision period.
Step 23: Begin finalization process with court.
Step 24: Court hearing to finalize adoption.
Step 25: Submit copy of Final Decree of Adoption to Bethany.
Step 26: Receive amended birth certificate. (With Jake and my names as parents)
Step 27: End of formal relationship with Bethany.
Step 28: Continued support as a "Bethany Family Member".

Thats it! haha!

As soon as our home study is completed we will be applying for a couple of adoption grants and a no interest adoption loan. You can be praying for us in that! We know God has a perfect plan!

There is so much more, but I will stop for now! lol

3 comments:

  1. wow reading your list sure wore me out! I will be praying for you guys. I know in my heart your going to be a GREAT mom one of these days and I cant wait to celebrate that with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited honey! You guys are going to be such great parents. God has chosen a very fortunate child to be blessed by you both. Can't wait to meet him or her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks mom and Heather! I have been very blessed to have some pretty great mom role models in my life! ;)

    ReplyDelete